Home · Technology · Technology
- Excellent hardness and wear resistance
- Breakable by impact
- Easy chemical reaction with ferrous metal -> unfavorable for grinding of steel
CBN(Cubic Boron Nitride)
- Excellent hardness
- Similar hardness, Young's modulus, thermal conductivity with diamond
- Stabe in the air up to 1200 degrees(Celsius)
- No chemical reaction with ferrous metal
Type of Abrasive
|SD||Synthetic Diamond||Resinoid, Metal, Vitrified, electroplated|
|CBN||Cubic Boron Nitride|
|SDC||Diamond coated with metel||Resinoid|
|CBNC||CBN with coated with metal|
1) unit of abrasive size: mesh
- The bigger mesh is, the smaller grit size is
ex) 140/170: Passing through 140mesh & Not going through 170mesh mean 140mesh
|Sort||Grit size of Diamond & CBN|
|＂Coarse grit size＂||#60 #80 #100 #120 #170 #200 #230 #270 #325|
|＂Fine Grit size＂||#400 #600 #800 #1000 #1200 #1500 #2000 more than #30000|
This means grade of abrasive binding power.
The standard is N
Close to A, it's soft & Close to Z, it's strong
|J - L||N - P||R - T|
Wear Resistance is very important in grinding process
1) Good Bond: G/W with proper wear resistance shows long life
span & low grinding resistance as shown above
2) Hard Bond: G/W with hard bond has poor grindability
as shown above(No abrasive dropping out of bond after wearing)
3) Soft Bond: G/W with soft bond has short life span as shown above(Abrasive drops out of bond fastly and G/W’s wear is fast too)
Quantity of Abrasive per unit area
As per high concentration, grinding tool's life span & quality(shipping, surface roughness) are improved. But, grindability gets worse and tooling cost increases.
Concentration : 100 = 4.4cts/cc
Material for binding abrasive.
Classfied into Vitrified, Resinoid, Metal and Electroplated according to bond material.
Mainly used as bond, which is made of thermosetting phenol resin
Advantage: making the wheel efficient in grinding
process & making the wheel fine in surface roughness, chipping.
Demerit: Low wear resistance Polyamide resin with heat
resistance is used rather than phenol resin.
Binder made of copper, tin, tungsten carbide, iron and nickel
Retaining power & wear resistance of abrasive is high.
Used for precision cutting of concrete, stone, ferrite, glass, crystal, semi-conductor
No elastic deformation, excellent grindability,
intermediate performance between resinoid and metal
3 requisites for G/W(abrasive, binder, pore)
Excellent in strength, fragmentation, heat resistance, chip emission
Superb in truing, dressing
For workpiece with difficulty in grinding
Production of complicated shaped G/W is available.
Overhang from electroplated bond by 1/3 ~ 1/2 of abrasive diameter
Good chipping emission & grindability
Monolayer abrasive makes G/W's life span short.
Used for brake lining, ferrite, microscope, camera lens etc.
* CBN & Diamond Grinding Wheel for various materials